Adriatic School of Arboriculture
SCHOOL HISTORY AND ACTIVITY
The Adriatic School of Arboriculture (SA2) was born from an initiative of Res Agraria (Agronomic and Environmental Research Centre) in 2002 with the aim to give technical and formative support to Public and Private professional structures operating in the sector of trees and ornamental foliage in general.
During the years the School has organized many informative and formative events with the participation of hundreds of operators and technicians. Learning activities have been carried out with topics related to specialization in ornamental foliage public and private.
Many highly qualified speakers have been involved in these formative sessions.
These are the main educational topics addressed:
• Basic and advanced Tree Climbing course;
• Courses and seminars in managing trees in urban environment;
• Turf and sod managing;
• Ornamental foliage defense;
• Palm tree care and managing (with particular concern for the red weevil damage);
• Technical knowledge of systematic and general botanic.
Particular projects have been related to specific formation and technical updating of Public Entities operators.
Some significant experiences:
• WORKSHOP / SEMINAR: TECHNICAL MAINTAINANCE OF PUBLIC GREEN AREAS LOCATED IN THE UNION OF VAL VIBRATA CITY HALLS – COLONNELLA, 21-22 MAY 2002;
• FIRST ADRIATIC ARBOR DAY – PESCARA, 7 – 8 OCTOBER 2005 – VILLA SABUCCHI PARK;
• PROPER PRUNING TECHNICS OF ORNAMENTAL FOLIAGE IN URBAN ENVIRONMENT - 24 HOURS – GROTTAMMARE 8-15-22-29 NOVEMBER/6 – 3 DECEMBRE 2006;
• TECHNICAL SEMINAR: “MANAGEMENT OF ORNAMENTAL PALM TREES”- GROTTAMMARE- 20 JANUARY 2007;
• THEORETICAL/PRACTICAL WORSHOP: “METHODS OF INTEGRATED MANAGEMENT TO CONTROL THE RHYNCHOPHORUS FERRUGINEUS ON PHOENIX CANARIENSIS” - GROTTAMMARE 24 OCTOBER 2008;
• SUMMER PRUNING OF ORNAMENTAL TREES – TECHNICAL SEMINAR ADDRESSED TO PUBLIC AND PRIVATE OPERATORS GROTTAMMARE, 11 May 2012 – Teatro dell’Arancio – Grottammare (AP);
• ASSESSMENT OF TREE STABILITY- Wednesday 28 November 2012 Auditorium Comunale - Comune di San Benedetto del Tronto (AP);
• ILLNESS OF ORNAMENTAL TREES – TECHNICAL SCIENTIFIC SEMINAR – Friday May 31 2013- conference room Kursaal – Kursaal Square – Grottammare (AP).
Projects and perspectives
The school aims at some mid-term main objectives:
1. 1. To finally become an autonomous Institution, achieve certifications to reach the necessary credits to be able to get public funding toward training activities;
2. 2. To find a fixed location in order to be able to have permanent training activities; the location should have these minimum requirements:
a. To be legally accessible and to be functional for the teaching activity;
b. To be located in a easily identifiable and accessible position;
3. 3. To plan a final organization chart with a scientific committee, a director and an operational and organizational structure.
There are some short term events already planned:
1. Autumn 2013: “SECURING THE TREE”. Open Day on security related to the presence of trees in public areas and to the technical risk management on sites of plant maintenance. The event includes demonstration stands and the organization of formative stages. Venue to be determined.
2. Spring 2014: “THE FUTURE OF OUR URBAN LANDSCAPE”. Public round table on landscaping interactions produced by the arrival of the Red Weevil on the Riviera palm trees. Date and venue to be determined.
PARTNERS of the School initiatives.
During the years the School initiatives have been supported and sponsored by many public and private entities:
ASCOLI PICENO PROVINCE
UNION OF VAL VIBRATA CITY HALLS
SAN BENEDETTO DEL TRONTO CITY HALL
GROTTAMMARE CITY HALL
CUPRAMARITTIMA CITY HALL
ALBA ADRIATICA CITY HALL
PESCARA CITY HALL
TORTORETO CITY HALL
ROSETO CITY HALL
PINETO CITY HALL
SILVI CITY HALL